Saturday, September 19, 2009

Sweetie Pie


This is our first apple pie of the season.

I am only going to make a few of these because really, how much pie can one family eat?

My real plan is to make and freeze apple pie filling so we can have pie whenever we want over the next year. Seems like a good way to use up those apples, right?

I'm not using an exact recipe but this is generally how I've been making my filling.

Melt a few tablespoons of butter in a pan. Add 3 cups or so of peeled, cored and sliced apples. Sprinkle with sugar (I have been using a combination of granulated white sugar and brown sugar). Add cinnamon, nutmeg and salt based on your own preference for these things. I also add a very little bit of apple cider. Cook until the apples are tender and then freeze in individual batches.

I have to confess that I use Trader Joe's frozen pie crusts (the purists among you cringe, no doubt). I am a big fan of these easy-to-use and tasty crusts (plus I don't even have time to shower on a regular basis these days so learning to make homemade crust is not high on my list of priorities).

Next: turnovers and maybe a strudel.


4 comments:

Allison said...

Just stumbled onto your blog and wanted to say hi. We are entering Spring here in Africa so it is so strange to see you guys preparing for Autumn. Your pie looks delicious!

Anonymous said...

homemade crust is overrated, my dear. The pie looks wonderful!!!

Anonymous said...

I love pre-made pie crusts. You're apple pie made me want to make a pie here. We're in the middle of our tomato bounty, so we had tomato pie for dinner the other night. Love pies!

Susan Bearman said...

My daughter made me an apple pie (with apples we picked) for my birthday on Sunday. There's nothing like birthday pie. We use the crust from The Joy of Cooking. The recipe looks hard, but it isn't, it's just thoroughly explained.