Tuesday, November 11, 2008

Help Me. I Make the Worst Butternut Sqaush Soup Ever.

Every fall, I try to make butternut squash soup.

I always have an absurd amount of squash from my CSA box and squash soup always sounds like a good idea on a cold fall day.

But it always disappoints (you should see my husband's face when he sees is simmering on the stove).

A few weeks ago, we had the most delicious pumpkin soup with chorizo and sherry at Lula Cafe. Amazing. The flavor. The texture. So good.

I think that I loosely follow Ina Garten's take on butternut squash soup. But the flavor always ends up being flat -- too squashy. And I can never achieve a smooth, thin consistency so it looks a little bit too much like the pureed squash I feed my babies.

So I thought that I would ask you. Anybody have an amazing squash/pumpkin soup recipe for me?

3 comments:

Allison said...

well, i don't know if it qualifies as an amazing recipe, but i thought i'd share my butternut squash recipe (since i'm sitting here eating a bowl at the moment it seems especially appropriate!)

i start by peeling a butternut and a spaghetti squash and slicing each in half. put in a pan and drizzle with olive oil, salt and pepper. add some chunks of onion if you like those to the pan too. roast in the oven at 450 degrees until the squash is nice and soft - maybe 20-30 minutes but just keep an eye on it.

once the squash and the onion are soft and cooked through, dump them in a stock pot and add plenty of chicken stock - at least 4 cups or so, but enough to cover the squash. heat over medium low heat. reduce to a simmer and add milk or cream to achieve the desired consistency.

let cool and puree to your hearts content. if it is looking to thick, add chicken stock or milk until it suits your taste!

i know that's not a very specific recipe, but it works for us! good luck!

Caitlin Murray Giles said...

I love that you took the time to share this with me. I am intrigued by the idea of including spaghetti quash -- I usually just roast that and then fork it apart and serve it with sage butter. But I am going to give it a go in my soup!

Anonymous said...

Nothing will put the velvet back into your velvety soups like a hand blender. I recommend only Viking products, which are both tastefully appointed and make lovely holiday gifts. See http://www.vikingrange.com/consumer/products/product.jsp?id=prod2340072.