Wednesday, September 3, 2008

Holding on Tight

I cannot stop buying summer produce (no doubt because I am trying to stave off the inevitable end of summer). I have gotten myself in such an "over buy" situation that I can't even figure out how we are going to eat all of this good stuff.

I still have yukon gold potatoes, zucchini and summer squash left over from my trip to the Wicker Park Farmer's Market last Sunday. Today, I bought eight peaches at the Green City Market (why eight -- what am I going to do with all of these?). We couldn't pass up the golden raspberries for snacking (those shouldn't be around for long). We helped harvest tomatoes at the Edible Garden and we ended up taking some of those home with us. We added them to the already overflowing bowl of tomatoes from our backyard. I am not going to even get into the blueberry situation.

Tonight, we pick up our CSA box which will bring melons, apples, broccoli, celery, herbs, patty pan squash, plums, and onions.

The bottom line is we have some serious eating to do. I am going to make zucchini bread while it rains this afternoon. Then roast chicken, sauteed squash and caprese salad for dinner. Maybe followed by a peach cobbler of some sort? Yikes.

3 comments:

Michelle Kemper Brownlow said...

I'll be right over! Sounds yummy!

I am all about HANGIN' onto SUMMER!!

Anonymous said...

I'd be putting all these delicious ideas into a 'Real Mom Goes Green' cookbook. I'd buy it!

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by the author.