Wednesday, July 16, 2008

So Little Time . . . So Much To Eat

We are now in the midst of the best eating season of the whole year. Yippee!

Wild salmon and halibut are easy to come by. I pulled the first ripe Roma grape tomato off my plants and popped it directly into my mouth yesterday (it was all that I hoped it would be).

Although I am saddened by the end of strawberry season in the Midwest, I am drowning my sorrows in bowls of tart cherries, perfect blueberries and delicious raspberries. I was feeling exuberant and bought eight peaches at the farmer's market today.

Fresh corn is here -- which means corn salsa, corn fritters, corn sauteed in butter with basil.

I made zucchini bread last night because I had two little guys languishing in the fridge who were begging to be transformed into something delicious. We ate it for lunch today alongside a farmer's market salad (lettuce, tomatoes, red pepper, cucumber and feta).

My CSA box this week contains fennel, gem lettuce, baby new potatoes (yum), swiss chard, and snap peas (amongst other things).

Here is a short list of what I am planning to make in the next few weeks: peach and raspberry shortcake with whipped cream, breakfast crepes with fresh berries and Tomato Mountain Strawberry/Raspberry Preserves, a summer cobb salad, pesto pasta with grilled shrimp, grilled salmon with brown butter sauce, herb popovers, caprese salad (drizzled with aged balsamic vinegar), and gazpacho. I will also probably have to roast a pork shoulder (we are addicted) and make shredded pork tacos.

I am going to be such a big, fat (but deliriously happy) pregnant lady. Happy eating!

2 comments:

Poetic Painter said...

I randomly came across this blog and now you've made me so hungry...I love this time of a year...and I have a sudden craving for raspberries. Btw, cute pictures of the kids. :)

Unknown said...

You have a delicious line-up planned!